CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Injureless

Just about a year ago I had ankle surgery. Awesome, I know. I'm so grateful that I'm not at that point in my life right now. Granted there are some perks with being injured, I'm not gonna lie. I got pampered to death by Grandma and had a billion people sign my hot pink cast up to my knee, but besides that nothing really fun comes of it. I'm so grateful to have a working body that lets me run around and have fun. Granted my ankle still hurts from time to time, but nothing like it did before. I can go for a run without my brace and not be swollen like a balloon 10 minutes into it. I can walk down the stairs without fear of falling on my face again. Running is still out of the picture though. I'm amazed by those people that run down the stairs skipping every other. I will never be one of the people. I repeat, NEVER. I like my joints too much.
A year ago I wouldn't be able to rock climbing, hop a fence, do a cartwheel, or even swim. For all those people who are injured out there, there's hope! It's so worth it in the end when you get better because you will no longer take advantage of the working body parts you have. I learned a lot about myself and the type of person I am too. I had to do rehab consistently for about a year after the surgery after doing it for a year prior as well trying to fix the problem without having surgery. It takes a lot of patience and time. My practices ended an hour after everyone else because of the exercises and therapy I had to do. There were some days where I would moap into the training room or to physical therapy very unmotivated. I had absolutely WONDERFUL trainers and physical therapists though. They should have a national yay for trainers day! They were always so supportive and happy to be around. I loved the friendships I gained through my injury. It was fun to go and just talk about my day after practice with people that actually cared. We laughed and made the most of my situation. There was a joke that I should interview the next trainer to work at BYU considering I was there everyday.

The only thing I worry about these days are foot cramps. Those little boogers get me a lot sometimes, but I'd much rather have those then have surgery again! Shari's many nicknames for me is "Hopper" because I have to hop out of the pool to stretch my struggling foot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment